Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

South Johnstone State School opened on the 5th of June 1916 in the towns “O.K. Picture Hall” with an enrolment of 43 pupils. These were eventful and somewhat chaotic times as the hall was the town’s picture theatre. By the end of 1916 the school had 73 pupils and had faced many challenges.

The new School was built and ready for the official opening on the Monday 18th March 1918. Unfortunately a cyclone struck on Sunday the 10th of March destroying the new School along with the Picture Hall and 90% of the township.

Again there were many challenges ahead. The school was re-opened under the school residence on May the 8th 1918 and in 1919 the School open its new building with one classroom and an enrolment of 82 pupils.

Additions to the original building were carried out in 1937 with another classroom built.

March 1972 saw the addition of a new wing (B Block) consisting of a double teaching area and walkways to link the original building. The Pre-school building was officially opened on the 10th of June 1980.

In 2010 the school saw a major refurbishment, with the Building the Education Revolution Project. The historic main building has retained its original charm, with refurbishment of the library, classrooms and administration block creating fresh modern interiors.

The School has serviced the township of South Johnstone and the surrounding sugar cane and banana growing areas for generations. Many of the students attending school at present are children and grandchildren of past students.